Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Afterlife

In February it will be two years since the day that changed my life forever. February 21st will be two years since my mother passed away. Her memory burns within my heart daily. 
On two occasions since she passed I have felt her with me. 
The first was a late night in the summer. From my slumber I was awoken by the sound of the dream catcher that had been given to me by my mother. It was no rustle of the winds that made the symbolic ornament move, it was moving with too much hast in a room with only a fan blowing. When I woke up, I felt my mothers presence. 
I've only told a few people about that experience because frankly up until now I felt strangely embarrassed about it, like people would judge me and my beliefs. After this morning I feel so strongly about all of this that I'm ready to talk about it. 
On this morning, December 22nd, just a few days shy of my second Christmas without my mother I felt her again. 
Getting into my car on my way to work. 
My car was my mothers car and some will say that that's why it occurred and its not her, but I know what I felt. I opened my car door and the smell of my mom rushed towards me, taking over every ounce of morning calm I had. I knew in an instant what it was. As I got in my car I knew she was with me. Overwhelmed with feelings I cannot even begin to describe I cried for a brief moment and went on my way to work. 
All day I've had a lingering feeling of peace, body and mind. Some would be scared if they too felt the presence of the deceased and some may say I'm foolish. 
I feel lucky to be able to feel my mother with me on the occasions I have. I'm lucky for the time I had with her but selfishly it wasn't enough. 
Merry Christmas mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment